Sunday, December 6, 2009

Unexpected Winter






Partial view of Gui Lin




Partial view of Gui Lin












The earth revolves around the sun and causes the change of four seasons. One full complete revolution takes 365.25 days. In fact, the earth rotates every day, every minute and every second. The only evidence of its rotation is the changing of day and night. Just as the earth revolves, we human being, too, are revolving. Our life revolves round the surrounding, busy schedule or let say a task too difficult to accomplish. Knowingly or unknowingly, we are revolving, either in a slow pace or fast pace.




Looking back the year 2009, there are some achievements as well as some incomplete tasks. It's been a hectic year in my life, and of course there are many ups and downs but I'm always grateful because God has been faithful and delivered me in each and every life's challenges. Before we realize, we have entered the month of December, a month of celebration and holiday for many, unaware that the end is near. Some people expect greater thing to happen in new year, but they never actually work hard for their life, and how can you receive your reward if you have this kind of thinking? Time flies! You have been taught in school, "time and tide wait for no man" . As much as we want to stop time from running, we just cannot!




In my childhood days, I'd always dreamt of living in a place where there is snow in winter. I'd always admired my aunts for they were studying in USA back then in eigthies. One of them has married to a local and reside in L.A. now. Sadly, I never had the chance to go oversea because my family's financial condition disallowed. Since then, going oversea has become the wildest dream in my life. I knew I'd see it happens one day, and I'm still waiting for that day. I know this dream is within reach now because I can get cheap ticket to London at rock bottom price(AirAsia's staff only).




The third day of December marks a historical moment in my life. For years I've heard people saying about China, and this time, I felt privileged to be given the opportunity to operate my company's aircraft with 160 passengers on board heading towards my fourth destination, Gui Lin(桂林) in China, after Macau, Hong Kong and Shen Zhen. I heard people saying about how beautiful this city is and I really wanted to witness its beauty with my own naked eye. Unknowing it's December already, I felt colder and colder as the aircraft continue flying up northernly. And then, Christmas flashed through my mind, then snow, then...."Oh my God, it's WINTER in northern hemisphere, it's winter in China as well". I was thinking, "would there be any snow upon arrival?". Seconds later I thought "nah, it ain't north enough", means it is still below latitude 30 degree, the city lies in 25 degree latitude north. In most places, snow will appear above 30 degree latitude north or south.




As we were approaching the airport, the surface wind on ground was getting stronger and stronger, and it almost blew the aircraft to one side just before touching down. Then we landed, on the soil of mainland China. After the disembarkation of passenger, we were required to declare at the immigration counter inside the terminal. So I went out from the aircraft and I felt so cold, then I put my hands into my pocket. I could see everyone was in their winter attire already, guy wear thick jacket and lady wear boot. We, the pilot and the cabin crew were the only human came there unprepared, hahaha..... Then I went outside to enjoy the cold winter air, it's freezing out there I could sense, with the ground temparature of only 9 degree celcius. My eyes started to fill with moisture as the wind continue to blow. I couldn't take it anymore and eventually went back in the aircraft where I could get some warmth.




Then we took off again, back to KL and as we continue to fly down south, it's getting warmer and warmer and at last we touched down at this land which lies in the heart of equator, sien!! It's so damn hot here in Malaysia, though it's rainy season nowadays. I have also planned for holiday next year, and I want a "white" xmas next year, no more tropical xmas for me please. London, here I come..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment